- Coding Theory: LDPC code design, analysis and implementation, linear programming decoding, space-time coding, network coding.
- Wireless Communications: spatial modulation, full-duplex communications, physical-layer network coding, non-orthogonal multiple-access systems.
- Signal Processing: adaptive algorithms, equalization, turbo equalization, precoding, OFDM systems, cooperative communications.
- Discrete Mathematics: pattern-avoiding permutations, combinatorial Gray codes.
Current Postgraduate Students
Daniela Donati (Ph.D)
Vaibhav Kumar (Ph.D)
Amir Shehni (Ph.D)
Armia Salib (Ph.D, co-supervised with Dr. Barry Cardiff)
Vibhutesh Kumar Singh (Ph.D, co-supervised with Dr. Barry Cardiff)
Current Postdoctoral Researchers
Past Postgraduate Students
Ian Mulholland (Ph.D.)
Heather King (Research Masters)
Bin Chen (Ph.D.)
Nalin Jayakody (Ph.D.)
Mayur Punekar (Ph.D.)
Past Postdoctoral Researchers
- Digital Communications (EEEN40060), University College Dublin, 2017/2018.
- Communication Theory (EEEN30060), University College Dublin, 2017/2018.
- Computer Engineering (EEEN20010), University College Dublin, 2017/2018.
A list of my publications may be found HERE.
Editorial Board Memberships
Current Conference Responsibilities
- TPC Member, IEEE GLOBECOM 2018 (Communication Theory, Signal Processing for Communications, Wireless Communications, and Cognitive Radio and Networks Symposia)
- TPC Member, Workshop on Full-Duplex Communications for Future Wireless Networks (FDComm Workshop) at IEEE ICC 2018
- TPC Member, IEEE WCNC 2018
- TPC Member, IEEE PIMRC 2018
- TPC Member, IEEE GreenCom 2018
- TPC Member, IEEE ISCC 2018
- TPC Member, ICNC 2018 (Signal Processing for Communications Symposium)
- TPC Member, ICT 2018
- TPC Member, EW 2018
- Steering Committee Member, Irish Signals and Systems Conference (ISSC) 2018.
Recent Invited Presentations
- "Efficient Evaluation of the Weight Spectral Shape of Nonbinary Protograph LDPC Codes," delivered at Technische Universität Wien, Austria, 18 July 2016.
- "Design of Irregular Generalized LDPC Code Ensembles using Weight Distribution Analysis", delivered at Università Politecnica delle Marche, Italy, 4 July 2013.
- "Stability of Iterative Decoding of Multi-edge Type Doubly-generalized LDPC Codes over the BEC", delivered to the Oberseminar Digitale Kommunikationssysteme, Siegen, Germany, 13 January 2012.
- "Linear-Programming Receivers: Design and Performance", delivered to the Telekommunikationsforum, Technische Universität Wien, Vienna, Austria, 18 November 2011.
- "On the Growth Rate of the Weight Distribution of Doubly-Generalized LDPC Codes," delivered to the Information Processing Group, EPFL, Lausanne, Switzerland, 12 Novenber 2008.
- "Linear-programming Decoding of Non-binary Linear Codes", delivered to the Applied Algebra Group, University of Zürich, 5 March 2008.
- "On Construction of Girth-8 LDPC Codes from Finite Euclidean Geometries and Finite Multidimensional Lattices", delivered to
the Institute for Digital Communications, University of Edinburgh, as part of the international lecture series "Advanced Topics in
Signal Processing and Communications", 12 June 2007.
Invited Conference Presentations
- "GLDPC Coded Modulation and its Squared Euclidean Distance Distribution," Second LNT/DLR Workshop on Coding and Modulation, TU Munich, 26 July 2016.
- "Low-Density Lattice Coded Relaying with Joint Iterative Decoding," in First LNT/DLR Workshop on Coding and Modulation, TU Munich, 31 July 2015.
- "On the Growth Rate of the Weight Distribution of Doubly Generalized LDPC Codes," in Special Session on Recent Trends in Coding Theory, Joint Mathematics Meetings of the American Mathematical Society, Washington DC, January 5-8 2009.
- "Unified Design of Communication Receivers: Factor Graphs and Linear Programs", in Special Session on
Mathematics as Foundation of Information and Communication Theory and Technology, First International Symposium on Applied Sciences in Biomedical and Communication Technologies, ISABEL 2008, Aalborg University, Denmark, November 24-27 2008.
Current and Previous Industrial Collaborations
S3 Group Ltd., Dublin, Ireland.
Decawave Ltd., Dublin, Ireland.
Sembarc Ltd., Lisburn, Northern Ireland.
Current and Previous Academic Collaborations
- Department of Electronics, Computer Science and Systems (DEIS), University of Bologna, Italy
- Computer Architecture and Technology Group, Universidad Antonio de Nebrija, Spain
- Digital Communication Systems Group, University of Siegen, Germany
- Department of Mathematics at the University of Zürich, Switzerland
- Institute for Digital Communications (IDCOM), University of Edinburgh, UK
Peer Reviewer (Journals)
- IEEE Transactions on Information Theory
- IEEE Transactions on Wireless Communications
- IEEE Transactions on Signal Processing
- IEEE Transactions on Communications
- IEEE Transactions on Vehicular Technology
- IEEE Transactions on Circuits and Systems
- IEEE Communications Letters
- IEEE Wireless Communications Letters
- EURASIP Journal on Wireless Communications and Networking
- SIAM Journal on Discrete Mathematics.
International Mathematical Olympiad
I am one of the trainers for the Irish Mathematical Olympiad team. I participated as Irish Team Leader in IMO 2017, 2015 and 2012, and in IMO 2011 as Irish Observer A. The official website of the Irish Mathematical Olympiad may be found here.
The great error lies in supposing that even the truths of what is called pure algebra are abstract or general truths.
And this error is so egregious that I am confounded at the universality with which it has been received. Mathematical axioms are
not axioms of general truth. What is true of relation - of form and quantity - is often grossly false in regard to
morals, for example.
|| - C. Auguste Dupin (E. A. Poe)